Embracing The Messiness of Life

 We are wrapping up our series on the book How to Pray without Talking God by Rev. Linda MArtella-Whitsett this Sunday.

Last Sunday we considered how affirmative prayer shifts the purpose of prayers for healing to prayers that call forth and claim a greater revelation of our innate wholeness, as expressions of Divine Life.

For those of you that were in attendance, I appreciated your input on the concept of wholeness and wanted to address one comment in particular.

I asked those of you in the audience for your take on the idea of wholeness. Specifically I asked what wholeness means to you, and how do you experience it. Several answers emerged - “completion, balance, connected, peace…” and then, “messiness” was tossed into the mix.

Why didn’t I see that one coming?

Another person even spoke to me about it afterward, expressing that she has come to realize that there is indeed wholeness in the midst of the messiness of life. That is why it is so important that we allow ourselves to BE in the messiness rather than wait for it to get less messy!

Indeed, we are called to embrace our messiness, knowing that that is exactly where we have the most opportunity to reveal more of our wholeness. That is how we experience a sense of healing.

As I have thought more about it I realized my own tendency to think of wholeness as being ‘nice, and neat, and tidy’. Doing so separates me from my own sense of wholeness in the times when I need it the most. When life gets messy. 

To be clear, we can never be separated from our True wholeness as expressions of the whole of God.
We sure can think and believe that we are though. And, as we are learning- our thoughts and beliefs have great power over how we experience ourselves, and the circumstances of our life.

As I reflected further, I saw how some of my greatest revelations of wholeness have occurred as I sifted and sorted through some of the messiness that I was experiencing. The depth of the wholeness I found was truly dependent on how deep into the messiness I was willing to go.

Our human experience is messy to be sure.  The process of recovering our wholeness can look all sort of ways. For some reason, “nice and neat” continues to allure me.  
And yet, I know firsthand, that is not how it has really occurred for me.  

So, thank you for the reminder!

Join us Sunday, at 10am as we consider how our wholeness
seeks to work through the messiness of our lives.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wild Awe

The Embrace of Community

Mystical Awe